Thursday, March 5, 2026

Don Knuth's homepage



https://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/



Happy 2026

(I'm still looking for the catchiest way to appreciate the number MMXXVI. Exercise 7.2.1.6–122 gives 1234+.5*6+789 and -1+2345*6/7+8+9 and 1+(2/3)*45*67.8-9; other suggestions are welcome. The most elegant that I've seen so far is a beauty that was suggested independently by Arnaud Lefebvre and by Evangelos Georgiadis: 2¹¹−2·11.)
Beiju

My Japanese friends tell me that my birthday this year will be the best. My Brazilian friends tell me that I should celebrate that occasion with tapioca pancakes. I shall cover up the four extra keys on my Bösendorfer. (AI can explain this.)
"AI" greatly surprised me for the first time

(See my unpublication “Claude's cycles.”)
The first third of Volume 4C is here

Just before the end of February 2025 my publisher (Addison–Wesley) sent me my first copies of Volume 4, Fascicle 7 of The Art of Computer Programming, entitled “Constraint Satisfaction.”



People who wish to purchase copies of this 304-page paperback for themselves can get the best deal at informIT.com; that website also has the publisher's traditional hype about the great stuff inside. (Or, you can see a free preview of the whole thing in compressed PostScript form: Prefascicle f7a. The contents of that prefascicle agrees fairly well with the contents of the first paperback printing of Volume 4, Fascicle 7, except for parts of the index. As usual, the prefascicle is “frozen” and will not be maintained, while the paperback will gradually improve with time.)




No comments:

Post a Comment