The sampan rolled under the weight of the man stepping out
onto the small jetty. Leaning on his cane he pushed up onto the pier leaving
the two men in the small boat hanging on as it rollocked back and forth.
‘Good gods Bertie, how long has it been since we were here
man? Forty years hmm? Fifty? This demned malarial deathtrap hasn’t changed a
bit. Look over there, I’m sure that’s the river bend where that rat Lao Che
tried to ambush us that night we were sneaking up to Sooching. Cunning yellow
bastard caught us like a Covent Garden catamite with our pants down, pizzle in
hand!’
‘Maybe, George,’ said Bertie, grunting as he used his own
cane to climb out of the sampan. He looked out over the turgid brown river,
running through a flat landscape of rice paddies intersected by a labyrinthine
system of canals. ‘It’s a long river and
these rice paddies all look identical.’
‘No, no, I’m sure this is the spot. Gods, I’ll never forget
that night, wild banshees came screaming out of those reeds, took out my batman
with their first shot. What was his name, Tuckman? Buckman? Good man; had
played rugby at Oxford with Wolseley.’
‘I think it was Dignam’
‘What? No, Dignam was in India – got himself invalided home
after the Patar campaign. Buckman it
was, Thomas Buckman I remember, went straight the bottom of the Po over there.
Guns going off everywhere, those cursed scythes these heathens use flashing in
the moonlight. I don’t know how we survived Bertie.’
George stood leaning on his cane on the end of the pier,
staring at the eddying water. Bertie hauled a bag out of the sampan. The sampan owner pushed off the bank with the
long oar, back into the current and drifted away into the heat haze.
George turned back, limping with his cane. ‘Yes yes,
definitely the spot. Know this river like the inside of my pockets. I told the
Colonel that. I said you need an old hand in this part of the world, not some
drafted cockchafer from Luton with his mothers milk fresh on his lip. You know
what he said to me Bertie? ‘I wish I had someone with your wisdom and
experience fighting under the colours still’.
‘The Colonel was being polite George’.
George slammed his cane onto the wooden pier. ‘Damn your
eyes Bertie, I know how brass works, you can’t strip a coolie these days
without say so from the BG. No, this is our place. We’ll shufti the demned
rebels and be back at HQ for tacks.’
Bertie glanced back over the barren fields. A waterbuffalo
stood in a paddy a mile inland. A lone fisherman’s shack sat on the riverbank a
few hundred yards downstream. The rest of the landscape was empty. ‘If there’s
a rebel army here George, then they’re demned good at hiding.’
‘Bah man, this way.’
George shuffled down the jetty on his cane and turned
towards the shack. Sighing, Bertie took up the duffel and slowly made his way
after him.
The shack was barely a lean-to, an afterthought of scrap
wood and brush designed to provide shelter from the merciless sun now high
overhead.
A small cadaverous man was haunched down in the shade,
cleaning a fish with a small filleting knife. He had frozen when the two men
came into view, a rictus grin on his face.
‘Now here we are Bertie, a coolie who can tell us what we
need. You interpret for me’ George turned to the fisherman. ‘Now man, where is
Tsung Ha?’
Bertie sighed again: ‘don’t
be afraid, we are your friends. We are looking for Tsung Ha.
The fisherman’s eyes darted to Bertie and then back to
George.
‘fuck you old man’
‘What did he say?’
‘Uhh, he doesn’t know.’
‘Bullshit Bertie, look, he’s obviously a scout foraging for
the men.’ George stepped forward, raising his cane. The fisherman ducked back,
still grinning. His eyes darting from the cane to the fish to the cane again.
He darted forward, knife extended burying it into George’s mid-riff, grabbed
the fish and sprinted out into the fields.
George pressed his hand to the blood spurting from the
wound. ‘Oh gods Bertie’, and collapsed. Bertie knelt down, lifting George’s
head.
‘I bet that was Lao Che’s grandson, the bastard had the last
laugh after all.’
‘I think he was just a fisherman George.’
‘Doesn’t matter now. Damn this. How does it look?’
The knife had done its work, one quick blow had shredded the
linen shirt and blue ropes bulged from between George’s fingers.
‘You remember Salisbury?’
‘Oh god, that bad.’
‘Yes.’
‘Oh god.’
Blood pooled into the dirt. Against the drone of crickets in
the background a mayfly buzzed though the air.
‘You know Bertie.’
“I know George.’
‘Oh god...’
Herbert leaned forward and gently kissed George on the
mouth.
Like a faint drum beat, a cannon fired in the distance.
No comments:
Post a Comment